If you are planning on undertaking a living room overhaul then there are a few crucial items you’ll need to consider for your to do list. I've put together a checklist of 6 items you need to think about when giving that lounge an exciting makeover.
Whether you want a sectional sofa or multiple couches, you’ll need furniture that provides ample seating for the entire family and guests (when they're allowed back in our homes in the not t0o distant future). Once you measure your space and choose the style and colour of your new sofa or armchair you need to consider its durability, and comfort. Bear in mind that if you already have comfortable seating and its stood the ‘test of time’ it may be worth considering recovering in fresh new fabrics and colours.
Club or wingback chairs are an excellent choice for formal living rooms, while stylish recliners or barrel chairs with pouffes or large footstools can also act as a coffee table and help set the tone for a more casual space.
Top Tip: Group couches and chairs around focal points, such as fireplaces, TV or windows to provide a relaxing area.
You might like: Footstools
✅ Coffee and End Tables
Purchasing the perfect coffee and end tables can be much more difficult than you may think. With so many sizes, shapes and finishes to choose from, it can be a little daunting picking the perfect table. No matter what style you prefer, look for tables that are big enough to hold coffee mugs, the mail or your tablet, yet aren’t so large they overwhelm your living room. If you want a coffee table that’s a little out-of-the-ordinary you could consider using an old chest.
Top Tip: The top of the coffee table should be at the same height as your couch cushions or a little higher.
You might like: Coffee Tables
✅ Window Treatments
Not sure which types of window treatments are best for your living room? Consider these types:
- Lined Curtains: These are ideal if you’re concerned about privacy.
- Thermal or Blackout Curtains: These curtains not only enhance privacy, but also reduce light and help keep your home warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
- Sheer Curtains: If privacy isn’t an issue, consider sheer curtains that filter harsh sunlight without darkening your living room. We have an amazing choice of new voiles just arrived, get in touch to find out more!
- Shutters: Shutters add character, never need to be washed and allow you to control the amount of light that enters your home.
- Blinds and Shades: Blinds and shades continue to be popular options and are available in a variety of styles and materials. Motorised shades can be controlled with a remote or smartphone and remain out of sight when not in use. If your windows are hard to access these are perfect and we are getting asked more and more for these, they're certainly a trend that's here to stay.
You might like: Our bespoke curtain and blind service.
Do you prefer the warm glow of lamps or the dramatic look of a smart chandelier? Lighting manufacturers offer a range of light fixtures that will help you keep your living room light and bright, including recessed, cable, flush-mount, track and pendant lighting. If you’re an avid reader, be sure to include floor or table lamps that offer bright, glare-free light.
You might like: Lighting
No matter how uncluttered you like to keep your living room, chances are you need a little storage. Speaking from personal experience! Depending on your requirements, you may want to incorporate floating shelves, bookcases, wall units or accent cabinets in the room. If you don’t plan to mount your television on a wall, add an attractive TV stand or cabinet to your list. We often work with clients to create and design a bespoke unit for awkward alcoves or to inject some real character into a blank wall using a piece of made to measure furniture.
You might like: Made to measure furniture.
And last but my no means least, accessories. These add style and colour to your living room, really bringing our your personality in the space. Make sure your finishing touches include some of the these items:
- Artwork: Whether you want to establish a focal point with a large painting or use smaller groupings throughout the room, artwork livens up any room and provides a natural conversation starter.
You might like: Wall Art
- Scatter cushions and throws offer an inexpensive way to add a splash of colour to your living room.
You might like: Soft Furnishings
- Other Accessories: Plants, area rugs, mirrors, clocks, treasured mementoes and other accessories help personalise your living space.
You might like: Accessories
If you want a hand with updating your living room space, get in touch to see how we can help.